Safe Water Network Awarded GSMA Mobile For Development Utilities Grant
The GSMA Mobile for Development Utilities Innovation Fund recently awarded Safe Water Network a Market Validation grant that will enable the organization to roll-out enhanced mobile money services and improved machine-to-machine connectivity across its portfolio of small water enterprises in Ghana to increase and improve access to safe affordable water. The Mobile for Development Utilities Innovation Fund is supported by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and the Scaling Off-Grid Energy Grand Challenge for Development.
In partnership with leading mobile network operator MTN, Safe Water Network will conduct a number of core activities as part of this grant:
- Launch of 5 new H2Ome! Water Stations in Safe Water Network’s existing Volta, Ashanti, and Brong Ahafo clusters
- Installation of 75 new water ATMs for water purchases using prepaid cards, which can be topped up via mobile money
- Installation of 500 prepaid meters for household connections that allow for water supply at home through mobile money payments
- Streamlining the mobile money payment process for water sales to increase operational efficiencies and consumer satisfaction
- Consumer activation and training to build community capabilities with mobile money for merchant payments
Throughout the project, Safe Water Network will be leveraging its earlier work with the GSMA that resulted in improved performance management capabilities through a mobile monitoring system. This project will ensure the new technology platforms are integrated into the existing system so that the organization is better equipped to collect and analyze key financial, operational, and consumer data. A key learning from the project is how mobile technology can strengthen the financial and operational performance of small water enterprises, enhance safe water service delivery, and produce benefits for mobile network operators and their consumers. These learnings will be documented and disseminated at local and international convenings to bring knowledge and best practices to stakeholders around the world.